After so many years working with the Portland cycling community, River City Bicycles has developed relationships throughout the region. Here are just a few of them.
- Bicycle Transportation Alliance
- What would Portland be without the BTA? We don’t know, and we don’t want to find out. As Portland’s leading bicycle advocacy group, it isn’t too much to say that the bike paths, lanes and boulevards we enjoy are the thumbprint of the BTA.
- Portland Wheelmen Cycling Club
- Portland’s largest bicycle club, The Portland Wheelmen Touring Club was founded in 1971 to promote cycling and to provide a social organization for bicyclists. Boasting over 800 members, the primary focus of the club is recreational riding with up to two dozen rides being offered on a weekly basis, including rides every day of the year and many evenings. The Wheelmen also produce a number of events including the always-memorable Pioneer Century.
Community Resources / Friends of the Shop
- NW Trail Alliance
- Northwest Trail Alliance is a local, all-volunteer non-profit organization.
- Community Cycling Center
- With a mission to “broaden access to bicycling and its benefits through our hands-on programs, volunteer projects, and neighborhood bike shop,” the CCC sees to it that all Portlanders have access the city’s bikeways.
- The Metal Cowboy
- Joe Kurmaskie, the Metal Cowboy, is a nationally-known cyclist, author, performer, educator and adventure dad. We’ve been honored to host his readings / performances here at River City. Visit his website to read about his Million Riders Project.
- Gracie’s Wrench
- “A place for you to get intimate with your bicycle, learn its ins and outs and give it the caring it deserves.” River City has partnered with GW’s Tori Bortman to offer 1-to-1 Commuter Consults, for all you folks who’d ride to work, if only you had a little guidance. Call 503-233-5973 for more information.
- “Bicycles and Ideas for Kids Empowerment.” Founded by Portland’s John Benenate, b.i.k.e. uses cycling as an avenue to teach discipline, teamwork, leadership, and self-confidence to at-risk kids. Beyond bicycles, the organization provides mentors, academic tutoring, career guidance and workplace skills, a scholarship fund, and ample opportunity to practice newfound skills and abilities.
- TEMPO Cycling and Pilates Studio
- Operated by Kirk and Jenny Whiteman, TEMPO offers specialized movement and fitness training, including state of the art cycle training on the PT300 CycleOps trainers. (Need we point out that Kirk is a past national cycling champion?) Mention River City Bicycles and get your first class for 1/2 off!
- Tra Cielo e Terra Tours
- Based in Cortina, Italy, Tra Ceilo e Terra Tours provides guided ski and cycling tours in the Italian Alps. Owner, guide and friend-of-the-shop Aaron Smith has competed professionally as both a skier and a cyclist, so his tours can cover the range from meandering to brisk to heart-pounding (and beautiful). Tell him River City sent you.